Sunday 9 April 2017

Awakening from our slumbers

We’re back. 

Finally.

Although I made a couple of earlier attempts, the past two years have proven to be far too difficult (and there has been far too much going on) to properly think about, and concentrate on this, my bijou blog, and I’ve missed it. 

But now, with Autumn slowly gathering momentum in this part of the world (and life becoming much more sedate), I feel the time is right to unlock the doors, through open the windows, take the dust covers off the furniture and chandeliers, lay out the cups, saucers, cakes and tea things,;and make sure that all is in readiness to receive visitors once more.  


Sit back (please help yourself to a cake) whilst I acquaint you with what's been going on.  To be honest with you, such a lot has happened in the interim that it’s hard to know where to start - but I’ll do my best.

* * * * * *

I think that you would agree that moving from one house to another is a big undertaking.  

Moving from one town to another is tiring.    

Moving from one country to another is stressful and time consuming.    

Moving from one side of the globe to the other is enough to give one a permanent attack of the vapours!!!!

* * * * * * 
On the 31st of December 2014, Mr. A and I went to the airport to catch our flight for Australia.  We arrived in Melbourne on the 1st of January 2015.  Our minds were filled with all sorts of plans, but there were foundations to be laid before we could even think about putting anything in to action.

Apart from our suitcases, all of our possessions were packed in boxes, somewhere in England, awaiting shipment.

We had no jobs to go to and our old life was left far behind

Ahead of us lay a certain degree of uncertainty.

What we did have however was determination, and so we moved in to the house we own with my mother, Madame O, and started to readjust to life on the opposite side of the world.

It took a while but we found work.

We bought George – our car.

We welcomed Miss Angelica in to our lives.

(Miss Angelica in true aristo pose.)

It was hard to leave our old jet-setting life behind - we had enjoyed it a lot - but we knew that we needed to think of the future and if we didn't set our plans in motion now, then we never would. 

We slowly settled in and settled down.

* * * * * *

Moving forward to March 2017 and we are happily ensconced at ‘the Grove’. 

(Part of the garden at the Grove - at the beginning of last summer)

Our possessions are all here (albeit in storage) and Madame O having recently purchased a new house for herself (which she is as present renovating), we will soon have the Grove entirely to ourselves.

We have also bought ourselves an acre of land about an hour's drive from Melbourne.  Here we intend to build a house, settle down, and potter about doing the sorts of things we enjoy.  

We are in no hurry as we intend to take our time so everything 


I do hope that you will come and visit to see how we are progressing!!

Now it is time to sally forth and visit other blogs that I used to enjoy reading so much.  We have been gone for such a long time that I doubt anyone will even remember us!

20 comments:

  1. Hello Kirk, I remember you very well and have actually thought of your often and send you my fond thoughts and wishes.

    How lovely to see your post of today and I am so happy you are continuing to blog. I have been a bit negligent but try and keep up reading all my favourite blogs.

    Your life sounds very exciting and hour home looks beautiful with those gracious hollyhocks adorning the driveway,

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Dear Helen, it was hard to even think about blogging but absence makes the heart grow fonder and when I started thinking about writing my blog again I was more than happy. Living in Australia once more is very different from living in Germany but I think I like it! Kirk

      Delete
  2. Hello Kirk, What a pleasant surprise to see your post arrive! I can see how you have been busy moving and settling in, but now we can hope again to visit interesting sites with you and get your unique views on life in Australia.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jim, I was having a lot of trouble with the new blogger format but I think I have worked it out now. I must say that I am enjoying being back after such a long time away and meeting up with old blog friends such as your good self. I have a lot to catch up on! Bye for now, Kork

      Delete
    2. And of course when I signed my name 'Kork' I meant Kirk. Will my typing ever improve??

      Delete
    3. I just assumed it was short for "Korker." --Jim

      Delete
    4. Haha!
      I thought that perhaps it sounded as if I was choking on something!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kirk, wrong I remember you and your blog very well :-)! I know personally that moving to another continent causes quite some upheaval in someone's life, since my husband and I did it ourselves (moving from Germany to the USA). So glad to read though, that you guys are settling down. I wish you the very best for your future in Australia and I am looking forward to follow your adventures through your blog.
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina and thank you for your kind words. It's nice meeting up with my old blogging friends! I have just been having a wonder about and checked out your own blog and I love all those rose photographs. Bye for now, Kirk

      Delete
  4. You KNOW I remembered! YAY! You are back!!! (I think I owe you an email too, if I recall but I digress). So excited for you both and glad to hear that your absence was just life and nothing bad. It happens. And Miss Angelica...well, what a beauty (but of course, I think she knows that!).

    Keep writing, everyone will find their way back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear 1st Man, thanks for your kind words. It is good to be back and good to be attempting to follow in your footsteps and have our own 'little farm'! I am finding the new blogger format a bit of a trial but I shall persevere. Miss Angelica thinks that she is the queen of this house and can do as she pleases - and she might be right! Kirk

      Delete
  5. Pour me a cup, please, and I'll just have the one of those very pretty cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in, Andrew. One lump or two?

      Delete
  6. It was both a big surprise and a delight to have a comment from you this morning Kirk - I am so pleased that you are both now feeling settled into your new life, and able to pick up some of the old threads again from your blog - welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary. It's good to be back. I was somewhat hesitant to begin again but once I started writing my post I felt as if I was heading back among my blog friends once more.

      Delete
  7. I was surprised to see your comment on my blog, Kirk. I supposed you have a crowd of problem and have no time for your blog. It's wonderful you decided to keep blogging and I will know about your new life in Australia. Good news- your things are there too!
    I liked your cat, she is a cute one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadezda. Yes she is a cute one - and she knows it!

      Delete
  8. Happy Easter to you, I wish you have joyful time with your family and friends, Kirk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nadezda. I wish the same for you and your family at this special time!

      Delete
  9. So glad you are back, Kirk. It was a pleasure to have your post pop up out of the blue. I will miss the taste of Europe I used to get from your blog but look forward to learning about Australia. I already love the small amount of architectural design I can see from your picture of "The Grove".

    ReplyDelete